Tuesday, November 11, 2014

No Science in 2nd Grade.

Recently, I was telling my parents about how my child is doing in school, how I love the small classes and curriculum pace, and about the science project his class is doing. He very emphatically interjected:
We don’t do science!
Hmmm.   Well, the rest of the conversation went something like this…
But, doesn’t your class have a garden? 
Yes
Okay.   Don’t you make predictions, take measurements, and record observations? 
Yes. 
Aren’t you learning about plants?
Yes?
Tell me, what do the plants need?
Sun, earth, air, and soil. 
Really? What would happen if a plant didn’t have sun?
It wouldn’t grow.
Why not?
Well, that is one of the things that it needs! (insert eye-roll). 
Don’t you guys have a cistern that collects rain so you can water the garden? 
Yes
What about compost? 
We are making posters to teach the other grades about compost.
Really? 
Yes
Tell me, can I put egg shells in the compost?
Yes! 
What about left over barbecue ribs?
No, that’s not good for it.
Tell me again what you can compost so I can know for our compost at home.
Dead leaves, grass, horse poo (insert 7 year old snicker).
How about tea bags or paper?
paper with no ink on it like paper towels, banana peels, potato peels, water melon rinds, orange peels and other fruits and vegetables. 
Very interesting.  So you are gardening, but you are not doing science. 
Nope, we don’t do science in 2nd grade. 

(Fernandina Beach Christian Academy, Fernandina Beach, Florida).  

No comments:

Post a Comment